Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ms. Tucker goes to Washington

So my reason for going to Washington might differ slightly from Jimmy Stewarts' but I am excited nonetheless. A couple weeks ago I was offered an internship at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. It's pretty insane to say the least. I applied for a few other internships and got rejected and I had pretty much given up, so the phone call from D.C. at 6 a.m. one morning really shook me up.

I'm very excited but I'm also extremetly nervous. I have that wanna-puke feeling sun up to sun down nowadays. I'll only be gone for 10 weeks, but it is going to cost a lot of money, I've never left home for that long before, I've never been further east than Texas, I am scared to leave my boyfriend, I don't know anyone there, and I won't get to spend my time wasting away in the hot Utah sun like I usually do during summer. However, this is also a once in a lifetime opportunity, it's going to look awesome on a resume, I get some school credit, and I think my boyfriend is going to come out and visit me and we're going to take a little trip to New York! I honestly have no idea what to expect, but I'm going to make the most of it.

I need this for many reasons. For one, I need to prove to myself that I can go out and try something new and scary, make new friends, and see new places. I also think I need to get out of Utah more and this will help me prepare for grad school (which is only about a year and half away!) I also think it will help my relationship life out. I have a lot of insecurities, like most people do even if they won't admit it, and going away, pretending to be confident, and experiencing something on my own will hopefully help me strengthen my personal awareness and realize that I am a strong and valuable person. I also hope that it might just make a certain someone realize how much I mean to them.

I will most likely keep this thing updated as I take my adventure. Look for me flashing gang signs behind Obama, and feel free to live vicariously through me. I might even buy you a souvenier if you are extra kind, or send me $5 bucks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh please, please update this frequently! I want to hear all about it. Also, I am doing a study abroad during summer term (roughly July through mid-August) and on my way back I am going to stay with my cousin in D.C.! We'll have to kick it. You can show me all the coolest spots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still hate that you voted for Obama.

    ReplyDelete